Monday, December 25, 2017

Mafia 10 Day 1

(note-- for those of you who haven't played before, I use they/them pronouns for the mafia killers when writing these scenes for the sake of being vague regardless of what the mafia member's actual pronouns are)

The cop's intelligence mission into her target's house went quite well. She gathered fingerprint samples to compare to samples found on a Mafia gun, and she searched through the drawers and pulled out files that looked as though they might contain secret codes. After scanning each paper she thought might be noteworthy, she returned everything to exactly where she'd found it, not even a millimeter out of place. The target returned home before the cop could leave, but even that wasn't much of an issue--she simply slipped into the laundry room until her target had gone upstairs and then she exited the front door without making any loud or sudden noises. 

When she got home, she put the fingerprints into a scanner-analysis program and sat down to work on the possible-codes. 

There was a sound at the door. It was extremely quiet, but the cop was trained for that sort of thing. She stood and moved out of sight behind the door. 

Footsteps. Someone entered the workroom and went straight for the window. They pulled something out from a small bundle under their arm and moved it around the edge of the window. The cop moved so she was blocking the door and grabbed a knife from on top of a book case. The figure turned around and the cop lunged forward, grabbing the intruder and holding a knife to their neck.

"Tell me what you're doing here or you die."

"I'm afraid that's not how it works." The intruder managed to knock the cop's knife hand to the side long enough to twist free and shove the cop back into the desk. They had pulled a knife of their own out from somewhere, but the cop's blade was longer and she wasn't trying to hold a bundle under her other arm. She had the upper hand here. 

She managed to keep her balance. She managed not to drop the knife. "You're not coming anywhere near me." 

The intruder smiled. "Luckily, I don't need to." They dropped the bundle on the floor. 

There was the sound of glass shattering, but the cop couldn't see exactly what it was under the cloth bundle part. She rushed forward, knife ready....and almost ran straight into the door. It was a sturdy door, meant to protect her, not trap her. She tried to pull it open, but it was stuck fast. After about a minute, she stopped and collected herself. Okay, the door wasn't going to work. She started to go over to the window, but the realization hit her before she'd even gone two steps. The intruder had already taken care of the window. That was the first thing they'd done when they got there. The cop looked down at the bundle and the greenish smoke that now surrounded it. 

The shattering noise...

Vials of poison gas...

She was going to die.

The next morning, the townsfolk noticed that the wall of one of the houses was starting to break. Upon further investigation, they found that Noelle, Cop, had used her desk as a sort of battering ram to almost destroy her office wall before eventually succumbing to poison gas.

It is now day. You will receive an email or Snapchat saying what happened to you during the night phase and containing a short story describing it. Those stories are for fun--don't read inform details too closely and don't share them with other players in the game. Saying your role or what happened to you is fine, but copy-pasting emails from me is strictly forbidden.

COMMENT MODERATION IS TURNED OFF. You may now use this space to discuss and strategize with other players in the game. Please try to post at least once per day phase.

Players remaining: Arc, Dugglyn, Ember, Jai, Raven, Snow, Star, Trip
Roles remaining: 5 Town, 2 Mafia, 1 Neutral
Number needed to pass a vote: 5 (majority of 8)
Please use this format for voting: <b>castvote [player name]</b> 
I will count improperly formatted votes if I see them and it is clear that they were intended to be votes.
Day ends: December 28th at 8pm Pacific time*

*the end time is approximate. I also will not be online on the 27th, so if you vote to skip day I may not actually be able to skip the day.

Dugglyn would also like me to tell you that she is going to have limited wifi for a bit.

51 comments:

Raven Astracae said...

R.I.P Noelle.

Also, I'm going to come right out and say it, because I don't want to be caught in the town v mafia war. I am the neutral. Right now, I don't want to reveal which neutral I am, because it could open me up to be a target to either the town or the mafia. It's in your best interest to keep me alive as I can currently benefit either side in some way as any neutral. Either way, if you choose to believe me (and I mean, why wouldn't you?) I've at very least narrowed down either the possibilities for the mafia or given the maf a better scope of who to target first.

Snow said...

Noelle :c

right, so. If Rav's telling the truth, she's not a jester. I'd say probably not an amnesiac, too, unless she's trying to help us beat the mafia by claim neutral while she still is and then taking noelles cop role while the maf's think they're safe from her and kill others. which. smart play if that's what you're doing and I just ruined it.

but yeah. if she isnt either of them then there's a 50/50 chance that she probably wants at least one of us to die (executioner), or just wants to. y'know. live. like the rest of us lmao.

Snow said...

someone else get on so I can theorize with them, thanks :P

Arc said...

I agree that if she isn't lying, she's clearly not a jester. I'm also doubting amnesiac, simply because she's saying that she wants to stay out of the feud.

Also should probably put out there that I was roleblocked.

Star Inkbright said...

Oh bloody hell we've lost the cop 😭

Star Inkbright said...

Okay, right now there are two mafia and five town, plus one neutral.
If we hang nobody, then tomorrow we will have two mafia and four town, assuming they kill one of us.
We will still have a majority.
We don't need to hang one someone tonight. Often I think playing guessing games is a bad idea on the first day as you're likely to get it wrong and end up with three town and two mafia.

Why don't we just hang Raven anyway? If she was a townie I doubt shed say she was neutral. If she's lying then we've killed a mafia, if she's not then she's neutral and we don't need her anyway. It seems to me that hanging her gives us a better chance of success than either hanging someone else or doing nothing.

(unless any other incriminating evidence comes to light)



(Sorry Raven!!!)

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

Comment rule she I forgot to say in the original post:

--Deleting comments is against the rules, even if all that happened is that you hit the "post comment" button twice.
--It's okay to post multiple times in a row, but try to be reasonable about it (e.g. 20 comments in a row is rude unless they're all really necessary)
--Avoid using "castvote" as one word unless you're actually voting for something. (Makes it easier for me to search)
--If you change your mind about a vote, use the same format but with "unvote" instead of "castvote."
--Use bold for things that you want to make sure I see.

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

However if Raven is the amnesiac, hanging her would be hanging a potential future town member, presuming she's telling the truth.

But she is the most sensible to hang if we must hang someone today, presuming she's telling the truth, as best case scenario, we kill a Mafia member, worst case scenario, we kill someone who is actually an important townie lying about their position to protect themselves for the town.

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

Day one is so hard !

I’m hesitant to kill Raven but it may make the most sense

Raven Astracae said...

Alright, alright.

You are correct if you're planning on hanging someone today, it makes sense for it to be me. But hey, let's just all take a breath for a second on why it's not the sensible move to take me out of the equation.

Number 1 - I'm super awesome to be around, plz don't kill me.
Number 2 - Killing me, doesn't stop the mafia from killing one of you tonight. Or the night after that. Or the one after that. And without your cop, the town has very few investigative leads. So they'll keep picking you off unless your doc is dope. Here's why I come in, if nothing else, I am a vote (probably not against you at this stage bc you're all already super keen to off me) so I help you keep majority for longer.
Number 3 - it is so incredibly unlikely you'd be taking out a mafia. Let's be real here a maf, claiming a role on day 1 is suicide. You'd have to be daft to do it. Because it's so easily disprovable by the maf accidentally taking them out. Therefore, I think it's safe to say I'm probs not the maf.

So in conclusion I guess, whilst killing me doesn't necessarily harm your game, it's really not a benefit either. So I think it's best to let me stick around for at least a while for when you need me.

Noelle said...

-I’m sorry, please forgive me if I’m wrong, but are dead allowed to comment? As long as we don’t reveal anything?-

Noelle said...

Also, please make a funeral pyre and burn my body

Snow said...

Honestly, killing anyone on the first day with no evidence is basically a death warrant. Even killing a neutral is bad because, like she said, it's still one more person to vote with us when we DO have evidence. Yeah, she can win with either side, but at the moment she's on the fence about it.

The only thing that is even slightly tugging me to hang her is the chance she's an executioner, but at the moment, Star is seeming more like that then Raven.

We can win this, we just need to wait for people to bring more evidence to the table so we can vote with at least SOME certainty.

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

Except that with the cop dead, the town now only have one potential role that can act as a source of information according to the list Fabi gave, the busybody/busybodies. And even then there might not be any..
This is like, a really bad start

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

as much as I want to hang someone today (so that we can get rid of a Mafia member ), I currently wouldn’t want to hang anyone because I don’t have any idea who it is

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

Doctor can save people and hopefully they mess up at some point
Idk what else we could do

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

I mean
If there is a hypothetical busybody they could say what their night result is, if it's useful, but then the Mafia might kill them immediately afterwards and then the town is well and truly screwed unless there's another hypothetical busybody

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

Dead people can say stuff like "please make a funeral pyre and burn my body" that's in reaction to their dying. It's best if any game-related discussion on their part stays in the dead chat though.

Does that completely answer what you wanted to know?

Snow said...

wait wait wait

okay. I was about to ask why we were all assuming we only had one cop, but I just actually looked at the rolls list again and. Apparently I missed that the first time.

Right. So. Cops out.

But what you're suggesting here is killing based on, what, gut instinct alone? We KNOW Raven is safe, because why would she claim Neutral if she were mafia? We need to try and make guess based on contextual clues, now. Things people say here that don't quite add up and attitudes that seem a little off.

Maybe I'm wrong entirely and Raven is a bad guy, who knows, but I'd rather play it safe and assume she's telling the truth then just kill off one more person who could help us win because we've all got our minds set on a hanging.

Snow said...

Also, Arc said there's a roleblocker. Any running theories on if they're good or bad, or are we just gonna hang on tight and hope for the best?

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

I mean, according to the roles list we can't begin to guess if the roleblocker is good or bad. If they blocked a mafia member, they're definitely good, but that would be really lucky on the roleblockers part, even more lucky if they managed to block the member who was performing the kill that night

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

Since the cop is dead we also can't find out if there is a framer
However on the plus side if there's a framer I think their night ability is largely useless now?

Raven Astracae said...

Thoughts on the roleblock...

If Arc is roleblocked again, the roleblocker is likely evil.
If Arc is lying about being roleblocked, then it's probably a lie by the maf to create some kind of alibi. (But it's early in the game so I think that's unlikely - plus can be easily disproven)
Uh, also if he was roleblocked, then Arc can't have a roleblocker role, regardless of alignment.

In hindsight Arc being roleblocked doesn't give us a lot of information.

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

So to summarise xD
Raven may be a neutral or may be an important townie trying to protect themselves or may be a Mafia member
The mafia may or may not have a roleblocker
The town may or may not have a roleblocker
Arc may or may not be a roleblocker
The town may or may not have any investigatory roles left
Star may or may not be an executioner after Raven
And if Raven is a neutral but sides with the Mafia then we have one less day to work everything out

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

Oh, and someone needs to build a pyre for Noelle

Snow said...

on the bright side, at least we know exactly HOW the odds aren't in our favor.

And, yeah, I'll gladly build a pyre for her

Anonymous said...

I'm just the vanilla citizen (But aren't we all? :P) and I get a zen garden, so that might be a good spot for a pyre.

Losing the cop is really bad news for us, so we might want to do a role call. It's risky, because we're basically broadcasting our valuable roles to the mafia, but it gives us some sense of a lead.

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

Not necessarily
There are enough possible town roles that the Mafia can claim to be townies without clashing with anyone else, and we don't know for sure that there's only one of each role, so we can't even see overlaps as suspicious

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that's a good point
I didn't read the rules super closely and I didn't spot that there can be multiple of the roles

Mycroft Holmes (Ember) said...

Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t really been around but a) I’m not familiar with this setup and b) I was just swamped yesterday

I think that if we claim now and we end up with a cc on any role other than civilian, we risk losing someone important today even though it’s only a 50/50 chance and we need all the evidence we can get with cop gone imo, also we run the risk of mafia figuring out who the doc is if they don’t claim

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

This is probably still a bad idea, but I'm gonna say who I am anyway, because I have valuable knowledge and if I die then that knowledge just isn't useful at all really, and even if you don't believe me, at least I can stop stressing about it
So
I'm a busybody, I watched Noelle last night, who we now know is unfortunately dead.
It was Ember who visited her.

Obviously I don't expect any of you to magically believe me, but I may as well say what I know before I potentially die
And you may be wondering why I didn't say this earlier. And basically it's because I'm still debating if this is a good move but hey it's done now.

Castvote Ember

Snow said...

I'm hesitant to vote for anyone, but if you're telling the truth, we're one step closer, and if you're not, it's probably safe to assume you're mafia, so we still come out of this better off...

2 mafia, 5 townspeople, 1 neutral. We Kill Ember and she's bad, 1 mafia, 5 townspeople, 1 neutral. We kill Ember and she's good, 2 mafia, 4 townspeople, 1 neutral, BUT we know Jai is likely a baddy.

Statistically, it... does seem worth the risk.

Okay. Sorry, Ember. I'll message you my skype or something later so we can keep in touch

Castvote Ember

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

Just realise it's meant to be bold, sorry

Castvote Ember

Arc said...

castvote Ember

Raven Astracae said...

Yeah, look, evidence from a busybody is compelling af.

castvote Ember

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

I am holding off on voting because I want to hear what Ember and the other people have to say first, but currently hanging her seems like a safe bet

Noelle said...

//FUNERAL PYRE//
\\WAS PROMISED\\

Star Inkbright said...

Voting for Ember seems like a good idea but isn't Jai equally likely to be the mafia?

Star Inkbright said...

I'll probably vote for Ember as voting for one of them seems to make the most sense, but like Dugglyn I'd like to see if she says anything in her defense first

(Sorry for not being online recently! It was Christmas and I've been feeling pretty I'll)

Jai (Silente Tempest - St Of Sinners) said...

Just make sure you don't wait too long if you want to vote before night

Star Inkbright said...

Damn it all

castvote Ember

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

That's a majority. If no one unvotes in the next 6 hours Ember will be eliminated from the game

Raven Astracae said...

This all escalated very quickly. Especially with no guarantee that Jai was telling the truth.

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

That’s what I’m worried about Raven

Because looking at who voted it doesn’t quite add up but at the same time killing Ember is probably the best choice

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

I also hate being wrong so I’m slow to act xD

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll cremate Ember and Noelle in the same session then

Anonymous said...

castvote [Ember]
Might as well eh

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

Eh let’s do this
castvote Ember

Dugglyn Carzainia said...

Except wait
I’m worried we have the wrong person because everyone voted
Though it would look suspicious if one person didn’t vote
But
Idk

Anonymous said...

Noelle says she wants a separate pyre and I get her cat.
If you have any funeral requests Ember, I guess I'm like the town undertaker now :P

Fabi S. - Fashion-Conscious Fire Wraith said...

Ember has sent me requests thar I will be including when I write up the post for the next night phase.